Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fork-tailed Bush Katydids Have More Fun

I have not dropped off the face of the earth! . . . almost dropped into the pond/pool balancing on the side to take pictures of hatching dragonflies . . but have not dropped off the face of the earth.

Today's post is going to be all about katydids, 'cause they're just cool.




A nymph - if I were really impressive, I could tell you its stage of development and all that. I'm not that impressive. But isn't it cute? It's washing its little foot!


"Hi, big freaky mammal-thing. Why are you flashing bright lights at me?"

"Oh - 'cause I'm cute, with my striped antennae. Alright then."

It's an antennae contest! (Other bug is a cricket)

It's a baby! (I know, I'm so scientific.) But look! It's got bitty stubby antennae and its leg are the width of the ridges in my fingerprint. How adorable is that?


"World veryvery big, and it very dark out. Me tiny. That long way down."

" .. and something's flashing bright lights at me. Me so confused."


Still a nymph, same species, believe it or not. (Not the same individual bug; I actually saw this guy (gal?) a few nights before the two above. When it's a grown-up, it'll have wings.


. . right now it just had these cute little fin-like wing-stubs, which you can see in this picture, kinda behind the knee of its middle leg. It's eating my gladiolas, but I can't really care, 'cause it's posing so nicely.


This is not a katydid, as hopefully even the least bug-oriented of observers could tell. :) This is the preying mantis that was stalking the above teenaged-ish katydid. It was relocated (though possibly not far enough, 'cause I haven't seen that katydid again). However, it gets a few cool points of its own, on account of turning itself pink to match the daylilies.

No comments: